(click/touch triangles for details)
- It seemed impossible that Mrs. Fox should endure his stolid persistence.Chapter 5 (48% in)
- He had wanted her to see a physician, but she had refused, and all the while she was stolidly terrified by the fear that she had cancer of the stomach.Chapter 12 (78% in)
- Through all the state there were celebrated poker players, rusticlooking men with stolid faces, men who sat in shirtsleeves, chewing tobacco; men whose longest remark was "By me," and who delighted to plunder the gilded and condescending traveling salesmen.Chapter 16 (28% in)
- The face of Sondelius changed from curiosity to stolid Scandinavian wrath.Chapter 34 (33% in)
- Often Martin returned to his patients at night, but once or twice Mrs. Lanyon and he fled, as much from the family stolidity of the Twyfords as from the thought of fever-scorched patients, to the shore of a rocky lagoon which cut far in from the sea.Chapter 35 (10% in)
There are no more uses of "stolid" in Arrowsmith.
Typical Usage (best examples)