(click/touch triangles for details)
- I did not succeed in getting a glimpse of the common, for even Horsell and Chobham church towers were in the hands of the military authorities.1.9 — Book 1 Chapter 9 — The Fighting Begins (36% in)
- And looking across space with instruments, and intelligences such as we have scarcely dreamed of, they see, at its nearest distance only 35,000,000 of miles sunward of them, a morning star of hope, our own warmer planet, green with vegetation and grey with water, with a cloudy atmosphere eloquent of fertility, with glimpses through its drifting cloud wisps of broad stretches of populous country and narrow, navy-crowded seas.1.1 — Book 1 Chapter 1 — The Coming of the Martians (29% in)
- Even at this first encounter, this first glimpse, I was overcome with disgust and dread.1.4 — Book 1 Chapter 4 — The Cylinder Opens (69% in)
- CHAPTER FIVE THE HEAT-RAY After the glimpse I had had of the Martians emerging from the cylinder in which they had come to the earth from their planet, a kind of fascination paralysed my actions.1.5 — Book 1 Chapter 5 — The Heat-Ray (0% in)
- Here again on the Surrey side were black dust that had once been smoke, and dead bodies—a heap near the approach to the station; but we had no glimpse of the Martians until we were some way towards Barnes.2.1 — Book 2 Chapter 1 — Under Foot (36% in)
There are no more uses of "glimpse" in The War of the Worlds.
Typical Usage (best examples)