(click/touch triangles for details)
- I hammered at the door, but I could not make the people hear (if there were any people inside), and after a time I desisted, and, availing myself of a ditch for the greater part of the way, succeeded in crawling, unobserved by these monstrous machines, into the pine woods towards Maybury.1.10 — Book 1 Chapter 10 — In the Storm (73% in)
- One of the men desisted and turned towards him, and my brother, realising from his antagonist's face that a fight was unavoidable, and being an expert boxer, went into him forthwith and sent him down against the wheel of the chaise.1.16 — Book 1 Chapter 16 — The Exodus from London (19% in)
- The bottle struck the floor and broke, and I desisted and rose.2.4 — Book 2 Chapter 4 — The Death of the Curate (6% in)
- He would neither desist from his attacks on the food nor from his noisy babbling to himself.2.4 — Book 2 Chapter 4 — The Death of the Curate (18% in)
- Then he slept awhile, and began again with renewed strength, so loudly that I must needs make him desist.2.4 — Book 2 Chapter 4 — The Death of the Curate (41% in)
There are no more uses of "desist" in The War of the Worlds.
Typical Usage (best examples)