- And meanwhile the military and naval authorities, now fully alive to the tremendous power of their antagonists, worked with furious energy.1.13 — Book 1 Chapter 13 — How I Fell in with the Curate (9% in)
- One may picture, too, the sudden shifting of the attention, the swiftly spreading coils and bellyings of that blackness advancing headlong, towering heavenward, turning the twilight to a palpable darkness, a strange and horrible antagonist of vapour striding upon its victims, men and horses near it seen dimly, running, shrieking, falling headlong, shouts of dismay, the guns suddenly abandoned, men choking and writhing on the ground, and the swift broadening-out of the opaque cone of...1.15 — Book 1 Chapter 15 — What Happened in Surrey (96% in)
- One of the men desisted and turned towards him, and my brother, realising from his antagonist's face that a fight was unavoidable, and being an expert boxer, went into him forthwith and sent him down against the wheel of the chaise.1.16 — Book 1 Chapter 16 — The Exodus from London (19% in)
- He heard the clatter of hoofs, the whip stung across his face, a third antagonist struck him between the eyes, and the man he held wrenched himself free and made off down the lane in the direction from which he had come.1.16 — Book 1 Chapter 16 — The Exodus from London (21% in)
- Suddenly he stumbled and fell; his immediate pursuer went headlong, and he rose to his feet to find himself with a couple of antagonists again.1.16 — Book 1 Chapter 16 — The Exodus from London (24% in)
- It would seem they were regarding this new antagonist with astonishment.1.17 — Book 1 Chapter 17 — The "Thunder Child" (73% in)
There are no more uses of "antagonist" in The War of the Worlds.
Typical Usage (best examples)