- "He is a gentleman," said the lad, sullenly.Chapter 5 (66% in)
- The sullen murmur of the bees shouldering their way through the long unmown grass, or circling with monotonous insistence round the dusty gilt horns of the straggling woodbine, seemed to make the stillness more oppressive.Chapter 1 (4% in)
- The passers-by glanced in wonder at the sullen, heavy youth, who, in coarse, ill-fitting clothes, was in the company of such a graceful, refined-looking girl.Chapter 5 (42% in)
- A faint smile curving that sullen mouth was all the echo she could win.Chapter 5 (71% in)
- "Not as long as you love him, I suppose," was the sullen answer.Chapter 5 (81% in)
There are no more uses of "sullen" in The Picture of Dorian Gray - 20 chapter version.
Typical Usage (best examples)