(click/touch triangles for details)
- But then, if they went to law, there was a chance for Mr. Tulliver to employ Counsellor Wylde on his side, instead of having that admirable bully against him; and the prospect of seeing a witness of Wakem's made to perspire and become confounded, as Mr. Tulliver's witness had once been, was alluring to the love of retributive justice.2.2 — Book 2 Chapter 2 — The Christmas Holidays (88% in)
- ...against the door-post with a melancholy pimpled face, looking as irrelevant to the daylight as a last night's guttered candle,—all this may not seem a very seductive form of temptation; but the majority of men in Basset found it fatally alluring when encountered on their road toward four o'clock on a wintry afternoon; and if any wife in Basset wished to indicate that her husband was not a pleasure-seeking man, she could hardly do it more emphatically than by saying that he didn't...1.8 — Book 1 Chapter 8 — Mr. Tulliver Shows His Weaker Side (38% in)
- These were the mental conditions on which Mrs. Tulliver had undertaken to act persuasively, and had failed; a fact which may receive some illustration from the remark of a great philosopher, that fly-fishers fail in preparing their bait so as to make it alluring in the right quarter, for want of a due acquaintance with the subjectivity of fishes.3.7 — Book 3 Chapter 7 — How a Hen Takes to Stratagem (**% in)
- ...childhood, and its memories of long quiet talk confirming by distinct successive impressions the first instinctive bias,—the fact that in him the appeal was more strongly to her pity and womanly devotedness than to her vanity or other egoistic excitability of her nature,—seemed now to make a sort of sacred place, a sanctuary where she could find refuge from an alluring influence which the best part of herself must resist; which must bring horrible tumult within, wretchedness without.6.7 — Book 6 Chapter 7 — Philip Re-enters (12% in)
- There was nothing to allure her now; duty would be easy, and all the old calm purposes would reign peacefully once more.6.10 — Book 6 Chapter 10 — The Spell Seems Broken (71% in)
There are no more uses of "allure" in The Mill on the Floss.
Typical Usage (best examples)