- We are only just in time to prevent some subtle and horrible crime.Adventure VIII — The Adventure of the Speckled Band (79% in)
- Indeed, apart from the nature of the investigation which my friend had on hand, there was something in his masterly grasp of a situation, and his keen, incisive reasoning, which made it a pleasure to me to study his system of work, and to follow the quick, subtle methods by which he disentangled the most inextricable mysteries.Adventure I — A Scandal in Bohemia (43% in)
- I had had so many reasons to believe in my friend's subtle powers of reasoning and extraordinary energy in action that I felt that he must have some solid grounds for the assured and easy demeanour with which he treated the singular mystery which he had been called upon to fathom.Adventure III — A Case of Identity (66% in)
- My sister and I, you will recollect, were twins, and you know how subtle are the links which bind two souls which are so closely allied.Adventure VIII — The Adventure of the Speckled Band (27% in)
- Subtle enough and horrible enough.Adventure VIII — The Adventure of the Speckled Band (79% in)
There are no more uses of "subtle" in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
Typical Usage (best examples)