(click/touch triangles for details)
1 —1 use as in:
Narrative of the Life of...
- Your narrative promises to be a most interesting one.Adventure XII — The Adventure of the Copper Beeches (59% in)
narrative = story
There are no more uses of "narrative" flagged with this meaning in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
Typical Usage (best examples)
? —13 uses
exact meaning not specified
- Lord St. Simon had by no means relaxed his rigid attitude, but had listened with a frowning brow and a compressed lip to this long narrative.Adventure X — The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor (88% in)
- Now, Mr. Jabez Wilson here has been good enough to call upon me this morning, and to begin a narrative which promises to be one of the most singular which I have listened to for some time.Adventure II — The Red-Headed League (4% in)
- Perhaps, Mr. Wilson, you would have the great kindness to recommence your narrative.Adventure II — The Red-Headed League (5% in)
- I have been at some small expense over this matter, which I shall expect the bank to refund, but beyond that I am amply repaid by having had an experience which is in many ways unique, and by hearing the very remarkable narrative of the Red-headed League.Adventure II — The Red-Headed League (92% in)
- I had expected to see Sherlock Holmes impatient under this rambling and inconsequential narrative, but, on the contrary, he had listened with the greatest concentration of attention.Adventure III — A Case of Identity (22% in)
- "Well, now, in considering this case there are two points about young McCarthy's narrative which struck us both instantly, although they impressed me in his favour and you against him.Adventure IV — The Boscombe Valley Mystery (75% in)
- Some, too, have baffled his analytical skill, and would be, as narratives, beginnings without an ending, while others have been but partially cleared up, and have their explanations founded rather upon conjecture and surmise than on that absolute logical proof which was so dear to him.Adventure V — The Five Orange Pips (1% in)
- Pray continue your narrative.Adventure VI — The Man with the Twisted Lip (44% in)
- "These are very deep waters," said he; "pray go on with your narrative."Adventure VIII — The Adventure of the Speckled Band (34% in)
- It is not necessary that I should prolong a narrative which has already run to too great a length by telling how we broke the sad news to the terrified girl, how we conveyed her by the morning train to the care of her good aunt at Harrow, of how the slow process of official inquiry came to the conclusion that the doctor met his fate while indiscreetly playing with a dangerous pet.Adventure VIII — The Adventure of the Speckled Band (93% in)
- The story has, I believe, been told more than once in the newspapers, but, like all such narratives, its effect is much less striking when set forth en bloc in a single half-column of print than when the facts slowly evolve before your own eyes, and the mystery clears gradually away as each new discovery furnishes a step which leads on to the complete truth.Adventure IX — The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb (2% in)
- We both sat in silence for some little time after listening to this extraordinary narrative.Adventure IX — The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb (82% in)
- So far I had got before I ever heard Lord St. Simon's narrative.Adventure X — The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor (95% in)
There are no more uses of "narrative" in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
Typical Usage (best examples)