2 meanings, 6 uses
(click/touch triangles for details)
1 —2 uses as in:
on the contrary
- The matter of fact, is, that the matron was in no way overpowered by Mr. Bumble's scowl, but, on the contrary, treated it with great disdain, and even raised a laugh thereat, which sounded as though it were genuine.Chapter 37 — In Which the Reader May Perceive a Contrast, Not Uncommon.... (17% in)
- Mr. Bumble, having spread a handkerchief over his knees to prevent the crumbs from sullying the splendour of his shorts, began to eat and drink; varying these amusements, occasionally, by fetching a deep sigh; which, however, had no injurious effect upon his appetite, but, on the contrary, rather seemed to facilitate his operations in the tea and toast department.Chapter 23 — Which Contains the Substance of a Pleasant Conversation.... (60% in)
There are no more uses of "on the contrary" flagged with this meaning in Oliver Twist.
2 —3 uses as in:
to the contrary
- It was Smithfield that they were crossing, although it might have been Grosvenor Square, for anything Oliver knew to the contrary.Chapter 16 — Relates What Became of Oliver Twist, After he had been.... (9% in)
Other Uses (with this meaning)
- Mr. Dawkins gave his hat a ferocious cock, after delivering this sentiment, and looked at Master Bates, as if to denote that he would feel obliged by his saying anything to the contrary.Chapter 18 — How Oliver Passed His Time in the Improving Society of.... (45% in)
- 'And consider, ma'am,' said Oliver, as the tears forced themselves into his eyes, despite of his efforts to the contrary.Chapter 33 — Wherein the Happiness of Oliver and His Friends, Experiences.... (29% in)
There are no more uses of "to the contrary" flagged with this meaning in Oliver Twist.
? —1 use
exact meaning not specified
- It might be that her tears relieved her, or that she felt the full hopelessness of her condition; but she turned back; and hurrying with nearly as great rapidity in the contrary direction; partly to recover lost time, and partly to keep pace with the violent current of her own thoughts: soon reached the dwelling where she had left the housebreaker.Chapter 39 — Introduces Some Respectable Characters with Whom the.... (67% in)
There are no more uses of "contrary" in Oliver Twist.