- 'This is all mighty fine,' said Monks (to retain his assumed designation) after a long silence, during which he had jerked himself in sullen defiance to and fro, and Mr. Brownlow had sat, shading his face with his hand.Chapter 49 — Monks and Mr. Brownlow at Length Meet. Their Conversation.... (25% in)
- The gentleman's notice was very soon attracted; for he had not walked three paces, when he turned angrily round, and inquired what that young cur was howling for, and why Mr. Bumble did not favour him with something which would render the series of vocular exclamations so designated, an involuntary process?Chapter 7 — Oliver Continues Refactory (19% in)
- So he at once expressed his readiness; and, kneeling on the floor, while the Dodger sat upon the table so that he could take his foot in his laps, he applied himself to a process which Mr. Dawkins designated as 'japanning his trotter-cases.'Chapter 18 — How Oliver Passed His Time in the Improving Society of.... (35% in)
- They might have been talking, thus, for a quarter of an hour or more, when Monks—by which name the Jew had designated the strange man several times in the course of their colloquy—said, raising his voice a little, 'I tell you again, it was badly planned.Chapter 26 — In Which a Mysterious Character Appears Upon the Scene.... (80% in)
- 'The great nobs,' replied Harry, 'under which designation, I presume, you include my most stately uncle, have not communicated with me at all, since I have been here; nor, at this time of the year, is it likely that anything would occur to render necessary my immediate attendance among them.'Chapter 36 — Is a Very Short One, and May Appear of No Great Importance.... (28% in)
There are no more uses of "designate" in Oliver Twist.
Typical Usage (best examples)