(click/touch triangles for details)
- It appeared to my childish fancy, as I ascended to the bedroom where I had been imprisoned, that they brought a cold blast of air into the house which blew away the old familiar feeling like a feather.Chapters 7-9 (60% in)
- I returned to my fireside, and was musing, half gravely and half laughing, on the character of Mr. Micawber and the old relations between us, when I heard a quick step ascending the stairs.Chapters 28-30 (41% in)
- I did not like to leave him, under such circumstances, and we all three dined together off a beefsteak pie — which was one of the many good things for which Peggotty was famous — and which was curiously flavoured on this occasion, I recollect well, by a miscellaneous taste of tea, coffee, butter, bacon, cheese, new loaves, firewood, candles, and walnut ketchup, continually ascending from the shop.Chapters 31-33 (60% in)
- As we turned to ascend the last flight of stairs between us and the roof, we caught a full view of this figure pausing for a moment, at a door.Chapters 49-51 (40% in)
- Number two in the Court was soon reached; and an inscription on the door-post informing me that Mr. Traddles occupied a set of chambers on the top storey, I ascended the staircase.Chapters 58-60 (30% in)
There are no more uses of "ascend" in David Copperfield.
Typical Usage (best examples)