(click/touch triangles for details)
- And before Rostov had time to make out what the black thing was that had suddenly appeared in the fog, there was a flash, followed by a report, and a bullet whizzing high up in the mist with a plaintive sound passed out of hearing.Book Three — 1805 (72% in)
- From the tents came now loud angry cries and now plaintive groans.Book Ten — 1812 (94% in)
- But after the exclamation of surprise that had escaped from Vereshchagin he uttered a plaintive cry of pain, and that cry was fatal.Book Eleven — 1812 (63% in)
- The plaintive moan of reproach was drowned by the threatening and angry roar of the crowd.Book Eleven — 1812 (63% in)
- Ramballe put his arms around their necks while they carried him and began wailing plaintively: "Oh, you fine fellows, my kind, kind friends!Book Fifteen — 1812-13 (15% in)
There are no more uses of "plaintive" in War and Peace.
Typical Usage (best examples)