- A paternal administration, chosen from among yourselves, will form your municipality or city government.Book Thirteen — 1812 (38% in)
- And he suddenly smiled, in an unexpected and tenderly paternal way.Book Five — 1806-07 (5% in)
- And even those who did see it would not have been much stimulated by it, for what had they to do with Raevski's tender paternal feelings when their own skins were in danger?Book Nine — 1812 (55% in)
- He felt that what he now said and did would be historical, and it seemed to him that it would now be best for him—whose grandeur enabled his son to play stick and ball with the terrestrial globe—to show, in contrast to that grandeur, the simplest paternal tenderness.Book Ten — 1812 (71% in)
- Inhabitants of the city and villages, and you, workingmen and artisans, to whatever nation you belong, you are called on to carry out the paternal intentions of His Majesty the Emperor and King and to co-operate with him for the public welfare!Book Thirteen — 1812 (42% in)
There are no more uses of "paternal" in War and Peace.
Typical Usage (best examples)