(click/touch triangles for details)
- The remote worship of a woman throned out of their reach plays a great part in men's lives, but in most cases the worshipper longs for some queenly recognition, some approving sign by which his soul's sovereign may cheer him without descending from her high place.Book 2 — Old and Young (93% in)
- "Come, Josh," he said, in a cajoling tone, "give us a spoonful of brandy, and a sovereign to pay the way back, and I'll go.Book 4 — Three Love Problems (87% in)
- But the brandy and the sovereign's a bargain."Book 4 — Three Love Problems (88% in)
- By that time Rigg came forward with a brandy-bottle, filled the flask, and handed Raffles a sovereign, neither looking at him nor speaking to him.Book 4 — Three Love Problems (88% in)
- Well, when sovereigns were flying about, why shouldn't he catch a few?Book 7 — Two Temptations (36% in)
There are no more uses of "sovereign" in Middlemarch.
Typical Usage (best examples)