(click/touch triangles for details)
- I never heard such good preaching as his—such plain, easy eloquence.Book 5 — The Dead Hand (63% in)
- ...magistrate, and in the collection of documentary evidence, but I regard my time as being at the disposal of the public—and, in short, my friends have convinced me that a chaplain with a salary—a salary, you know—is a very good thing, and I am happy to be able to come here and vote for the appointment of Mr. Tyke, who, I understand, is an unexceptionable man, apostolic and eloquent and everything of that kind—and I am the last man to withhold my vote—under the circumstances, you know.Book 2 — Old and Young (62% in)
- The eloquent auctioneer smiled at his own ingenuity.Book 3 — Waiting for Death (91% in)
- But nature has sometimes made sad oversights in carrying out her intention; as in the case of good Mr. Brooke, whose masculine consciousness was at this moment in rather a stammering condition under the eloquence of his niece.Book 4 — Three Love Problems (63% in)
- The eloquent auctioneer was seized with pneumonia, and having been a patient of Mr. Peacock's, sent for Lydgate, whom he had expressed his intention to patronize.Book 5 — The Dead Hand (20% in)
There are no more uses of "eloquent" in Middlemarch.
Typical Usage (best examples)