- If again, it was not well cut, he would say I lie: this is called the Countercheck quarrelsome: and so, to the Lie circumstantial, and the Lie direct.5.4 — Act 5 Scene 4 — Another part of the Forest (39% in)
- And thou wert best look to't; for if thou dost him any slight disgrace, or if he do not mightily grace himself on thee, he will practise against thee by poison, entrap thee by some treacherous device, and never leave thee till he hath ta'en thy life by some indirect means or other: for, I assure thee, and almost with tears I speak it, there is not one so young and so villainous this day living.1.1 — Act 1 Scene 1 — An Orchard near OLIVER'S house (88% in)
- I durst go no further than the Lie circumstantial, nor he durst not give me the Lie direct; and so we measured swords and parted.5.4 — Act 5 Scene 4 — Another part of the Forest (41% in)
- The first, the Retort courteous; the second, the Quip modest; the third, the Reply churlish; the fourth, the Reproof valiant; the fifth, the Countercheck quarrelsome; the sixth, the Lie with circumstance; the seventh, the Lie direct.5.4 — Act 5 Scene 4 — Another part of the Forest (45% in)
- All these you may avoid but the Lie Direct; and you may avoid that too with an 'If'.5.4 — Act 5 Scene 4 — Another part of the Forest (46% in)
There are no more uses of "direct" in As You Like It.
Typical Usage (best examples)