All 7 Uses of
To Kill a Mockingbird
- Once the town was terrorized by a series of morbid nocturnal events: people's chickens and household pets were found mutilated; although the culprit was Crazy Addie, who eventually drowned himself in Barker's Eddy, people still looked at the Radley Place, unwilling to discard their initial suspicions.
p. 10..9although = even though
- Jem said quietly, "My sister ain't dirty and I ain't scared of you," although I noticed his knees shaking.
p. 141..9although = but (used to connect contrasting ideas)
- Although her fits had passed off, she was in every other way her old self: when Sir Walter Scott became involved in lengthy descriptions of moats and castles, Mrs. Dubose would become bored and pick on us: "Jeremy Finch, I told you you'd live to regret tearing up my camellias."
p. 146..2although = even though
- Although Maycomb was ignored during the War Between the States, Reconstruction rule and economic ruin forced the town to grow.
- Although we heard no more about the Finch family from Aunt Alexandra, we heard plenty from the town.
- He was a man learned in the law, and although he seemed to take his job casually, in reality he kept a firm grip on any proceedings that came before him.
p. 220..5 *
- Although his back was to us, we knew he had a slight cast in one of his eyes which he used to his advantage: he seemed to be looking at a person when he was actually doing nothing of the kind, thus he was hell on juries and witnesses.
(although) even though; or but
(Used to connect contrasting ideas. At the start of a sentence, other synonyms could include words and phrases such as however, yet, all the same, on the other hand, still, even so, and nonetheless.)