All 6 Uses of
To Kill a Mockingbird
- Atticus met her when he was first elected to the state legislature.
p. 7..3legislature = a group of elected representatives who create laws
- Furthermore, I couldn't help noticing that my father had served for years in the state legislature, elected each time without opposition,
- ...if I didn't [defend him] I couldn't hold up my head in town, I couldn't represent this county in the legislature, I couldn't even tell you or Jem not to do something again.
p. 100..8 *
- As if that were not enough, the state legislature was called into emergency session and Atticus left us for two weeks.
- Atticus's gone all day and sometimes half the night and off in the legislature and I don't know what—
- There was one odd thing, though, that I never understood: in spite of Atticus's shortcomings as a parent, people were content to re-elect him to the state legislature that year, as usual, without opposition.
(legislature) a group made up of government representatives (usually elected) that has the power to create laws