(click/touch triangles for details)
- "I want to get one of those dogs," she said earnestly.p. 27.4
- I was immediately struck by the number of young Englishmen dotted about; all well dressed, all looking a little hungry, and all talking in low, earnest voices to solid and prosperous Americans.p. 42.2
- "— So I took one look at him," said Mr. Wolfshiem, shaking my hand earnestly, "and what do you think I did?"p. 69.7
- Daisy, that's all over now," he said earnestly.p. 132.0
- He was talking intently across the table at her, and in his earnestness his hand had fallen upon and covered her own.p. 145.1
There are no more uses of "earnest" in The Great Gatsby.
Typical Usage (best examples)