used in The Grapes of Wrath
(click/touch triangles for details)
most important; or person who is most important
The exact meaning of principal
can depend upon its context. For example:
- "the principal idea" or "the principal performer" — the most important
- "the principal of the school" — the person in charge
- "a principal of a company" — an owner or person with controlling authority
- "the principal in a transaction" (as contrasted to the agent) — the person on whose behalf an agent acts
- And always they were in fear of a principal—three hundred thousand—if they ever move under a leader—the end.
Chapter 19 (92% in)
- These things were lost, and crops were reckoned in dollars, and land was valued by principal plus interest, and crops were bought and sold before they were planted.
Chapter 19 (8% in)
There are no more uses of "principal" in The Grapes of Wrath.