used in 1984 by Orwell
only 1 use
(click/touch triangles for details)
not intense, or less active
The exact meaning of subdued
depends upon its context. For example:
- "subdued colors" — not too bright (soft, not intense)
- "a subdued voice" — quiet; perhaps whispered
- "a subdued mood" — quiet and less active; perhaps a bit sad or thoughtful
- "subdued summer activity" — less active or busy than normal
- The demeanour of the black-uniformed men suddenly became more subdued.
subdued = less intense
There are no more uses of "subdued" in 1984 by Orwell.