(click/touch triangles for details)
- Some hours passed thus, while they, by their countenances, expressed joy, the cause of which I did not comprehend.Chapter 13 (28% in)
- I conjectured, therefore, that he found on the paper signs for speech which he understood, and I ardently longed to comprehend these also; but how was that possible when I did not even understand the sounds for which they stood as signs?Chapter 12 (62% in)
- They made many signs which I did not comprehend, but I saw that her presence diffused gladness through the cottage, dispelling their sorrow as the sun dissipates the morning mists.Chapter 13 (24% in)
- Safie was always gay and happy; she and I improved rapidly in the knowledge of language, so that in two months I began to comprehend most of the words uttered by my protectors.Chapter 13 (45% in)
- My days were spent in close attention, that I might more speedily master the language; and I may boast that I improved more rapidly than the Arabian, who understood very little and conversed in broken accents, whilst I comprehended and could imitate almost every word that was spoken.Chapter 13 (52% in)
There are no more uses of "comprehend" in Frankenstein.
Typical Usage (best examples)