(click/touch triangles for details)
Definitionto turn something in the opposite position — such as upside down, inside out, or (of two things) in switched position
Invert can also be used in specialized senses in music, logic, mathematics, chemistry and other areas. See the related Wikipedia article for discussions in different specialties.
- We rode an inverted loop roller coaster.
inverted = turned in the opposite position — such as upside down, inside out
- She inverted the "M" to make a "W".
- here the theme is inverted
- their inverted power play, which sets up behind the goal instead of at the point
- an inverted yield curve
- His eye was trained not just on the massive inverted pyramid, but on what lay directly beneath it.Dan Brown -- The Da Vinci Code
- The words were written in careful, graceful script: Give not thyself up, then, to fire, lest it invert thee, deaden thee; as for a time it did me.Henry H. Neff -- The Hound of Rowan
- Some are lying; some stand erect, this on his head, and that on his soles; another like a bow inverts his face to his feet.Dante Alighieri -- Dante's Inferno
- Rhodes sat on an inverted bucket by a hole in the ground, dreaming of his home in England, and of the unconquered hinterland.Doris Lessing -- The Grass is Singing
- Etienne sees soldiers with hollows in their cheeks like inverted cups.Anthony Doerr -- All the Light We Cannot See
- The sky was an inverted cup of blue metal.Oscar Wilde -- The Picture of Dorian Gray
- Twelve thrones, built for beings the size of Hades, were arranged in an inverted U, just like the cabins at Camp Half-Blood.Rick Riordan -- The Lightning Thief
- Due south is the CN Tower, lifting up like a huge inverted icicle.Margaret Atwood -- Cat's Eye
- Six months later he emerged a different shape; he went in a square and came out an inverted triangle.Michael Lewis -- The Blind Side
- The proportion which existed between the two races is soon inverted.Alexis de Toqueville -- Democracy In America, Volume 1
- Stephen pointed to a basket which a butcher's boy had slung inverted on his head.James Joyce -- A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
- When he was satisfied that he'd made his effect, Nuper raised his eyebrows into a long inverted V and opened his hands, the heels pointing inward.John Gardner -- The Sunlight Dialogues
- "It stinks of Sport," said Mordred in inverted commas, "and the Done Thing and the Best People.T. H. White -- The Once and Future King
- A ragged, sooty bunch of flimsy mat hovels was perched over its own inverted image upon a crooked multitude of high piles the colour of ebony.Joseph Conrad -- Lord Jim
- Except for the fact that the colors were inverted, they looked exactly like the elevators in the Empire State Building, the entrance to Olympus.Rick Riordan -- The House of Hades