To see details on the word
herpes simplex
please enable javascript.

Go to New Version of This Page
This old version has not been updated since 2016,
but we're leaving it in case you prefer it.
Show What's New
Please update your links from the new version.
herpes simplex

Most people have been infected by at least 1 herpes simplex subtype before adulthood.
  an infection caused by the herpes simplex virus that produces small temporary blisters on the skin and mucous membranes; or the virus that causes the disease
 Mark word for later review on this computer
herpes simplex oral herpes
Herpes simplex can cause both oral herpes (often called cold sores) and genital herpes.

80% of oral herpes infections are caused by herpes simplex type 1. The other 20% are attributed to herpes simplex type 2.

The term "herpes" without an identifier, typically references genital herpes; though the term "herpes simplex" is more likely to reference oral herpes.
Web Links:
(try right-click if popups are disabled)
Dictionary -®
Dictionary/Synonyms - Google®
Dictionary List - OneLook®
Wikipedia Article
WebMD Article
Google Images
  • Most people have been infected by at least 1 herpes simplex subtype before adulthood.
  • Lagos thought that herpes simplex might be a modem, benign descendant of Asherah.
    Neal Stephenson  --  Snow Crash
  • Through some odd form of neurohypnosis, or whatever the term, this woman, who lived in Normal, Illinois—this made her irresistible—showed the symptoms of whatever illness Elizabeth Taylor was suffering at a particular time, or John Wayne, or Jackie Onas-sis, or name your star, from a fluey sort of fatigue to the skin eruptions of herpes simplex and the wasted frame of cancer.
    Don DeLillo  --  Underworld
  • spontaneous cross-reference—something lam coded to do at opportune moments-you may wish to examine herpes simplex, a virus that takes up residence in the nervous system and never leaves.
    Neal Stephenson  --  Snow Crash

  • Show more
  • As an example, look at herpes simplex.
    Neal Stephenson  --  Snow Crash
Search for samples from other sources:
(try right-click if popups are disabled)
Interest -- Source
General -- Google News®
General -- Time® Magazine
General -- Twitter®
Associated words [difficulty]:   herpes simplex [8] , plaque [2] , tartar [5] , canker sore [9] , cold sore [9]
     If popups are enabled: Search in OneLook®   If Flash® is also enabled: Search in Visuwords®
Most commonly used in these subjects:   Medicine, Engineering, Human Behavior
Home . . . enhancing vocabulary while reading