- The French should choke to death on the Louisiana Purchase (1803) while silkworms ate all the Chinese with their stupid pigtails.
Maya Angelou -- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
- (Facing out) Well—I was really ready to make a speech about the Monroe Doctrine, but at the last minute Miss Corcoran made me talk about the Louisiana Purchase instead.
Thornton Wilder -- Our Town
- The Louisiana Purchase was ratified in 1803, and Louisiana became a state in 1812.
Henry L. Mencken -- The American Language
- Were it not for John Adams making peace with France, there might never have been a Louisiana Purchase.
David McCullough -- John Adams
Search for samples from other sources
- Jefferson authorized the Louisiana Purchase from the French and it turned out to be a pretty good deal!
Phil Robertson -- Happy, Happy, Happy: My Life and Legacy as the Duck Commander
- Many Acadians found their way to Louisiana, still ruled by France until the Louisiana Purchase, and they settled mainly in rural areas.
Robert MacNeil and William Crane -- Do You Speak American?
- In 1903 the Chicago House Wrecking Company bought the wheel at auction for $8,150, then reassembled it at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition of 1904.
Erik Larson -- The Devil in the White City
- The newlyweds left on the train for the World’s Fair and Louisiana Purchase Centennial Exposition that had opened (a year late) in St. Louis.
Eudora Welty -- One Writer’s Beginnings
General -- Google News®
General -- Time® Magazine
General -- Twitter®