- That rope might have rung our death knell, signifying, as it surely must, that the American eagle had landed.
Marcus Luttrell -- Lone Survivor
- The press ran story after story quoting lawyers and scientists saying that a victory for Moore would "create chaos for researchers" and "[sound] the death knell to the university physician-scientist."
Rebecca Skloot -- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- "Dad says this is the death knell for him," Ruth said to Ray, waving the clipping at him as she got into Ray’s ice blue Chevy at the end of her driveway.
Alice Sebold -- The Lovely Bones
- His manner was so casual when he was sounding the death knell of Tara.
Margaret Mitchell -- Gone with the Wind
Search for samples from other sources
- It is the death knell.
Victor Hugo -- Les Miserables
- The death knell.
Elie Wiesel -- Night
- Its recurrence was regular, but as slow as the tolling of a death knell.
Ambrose Bierce -- An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
- Instead, he was seized by terror: the fantastic realization that it could just as well have been himself for whom the death knell was tolling.
Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- Love in the Time of Cholera
- These words fell on my soul like a kind of death knell.
Jules Verne -- A Journey to the Center of the Earth
- But it was the death knell that had tolled over these stooks, and more than thrice.
Show more again
Geraldine Brooks -- Year of Wonders
- For in the banging of the guns she heard the death knell of this multiplicity of beasts.
Zane Grey -- The Thundering Herd
- They had rung the bells when King Robert died, she remembered, but this was different, no slow dolorous death knell but a joyful thunder.
George R.R. Martin -- A Clash of Kings
- On Old Wyk her uncle’s hellhorn had blown a death knell for her dreams, and now Hagen was sounding what might well be her last hour on earth.
George R.R. Martin -- A Dance With Dragons
General -- Google News®
General -- Time® Magazine
General -- Twitter®