Go to New Version of This Page
This old version has not been updated since 2016,
but we're leaving it in case you prefer it.
Show What's New
Please update your links from the new version.
|The House of Mirth|
|Go to Book Vocabulary|
- But at the outset she perceived a subtle resistance to her efforts. (not reviewed by editor)
- To think of that loud independence of Mattie's being only a subtler form of snobbishness! (not reviewed by editor)
- Her brooding look, as of a mind withdrawn yet not averted, seemed to Mr. Rosedale full of a subtle encouragement. (not reviewed by editor)
- What a contrast to the subtle elegance of the setting she had pictured for herself—an apartment which should surpass the complicated luxury of her friends' surroundings by the whole extent of that artistic sensibility which made her feel herself their superior; in which every tint and line should combine to enhance her beauty and give distinction to her leisure! (not reviewed by editor)
- Scarcely three months had elapsed since he had parted from her on the threshold of the Brys' conservatory; but a subtle change had passed over the quality of her beauty. (not reviewed by editor)
- And it was not, after the first moment, the horror of the idea that held her spell-bound, subdued to his will; it was rather its subtle affinity to her own inmost cravings. (not reviewed by editor)
- Mere display left her with a sense of superior distinction; but she felt an affinity to all the subtler manifestations of wealth. (not reviewed by editor)
- Lily's visit to the Dorsets had resulted, for both, in the discovery that they could be of use to each other; and the civilized instinct finds a subtler pleasure in making use of its antagonist than in confounding him. (not reviewed by editor)
- She knew that to betray any sense of superiority was a subtler form of the stupidity her mother denounced, and it did not take her long to learn that a beauty needs more tact than the possessor of an average set of features. (not reviewed by editor)
|To see samples from other sources, click a sense of the word below:|
|as in: a subtle poison |
|as in: a subtle shade of blue |
|as in: a subtle difference or thinker |
|To see an overview of word senses, click here.|
|Go to Book Vocabulary|
||Learn more easily. Think more clearly. Express more effectively.