- The shock of this retort had the effect of crystallizing Selden’s wavering intentions.
- Was it only ten years since she had wavered in imagination between the English earl and the Italian prince?
- The white oval of her face swam out waveringly from a background of shadows, the uncertain light blurring it like a haze; but the two lines about the mouth remained.
- She turned to give him the welcome which such gallantry deserved; but her greeting wavered into a blush of wonder, for the man who had approached her was Lawrence Selden.
- Lily’s own view of her wavered between pity for her limitations and impatience at her cheerful acceptance of them.
- On the nearer slopes the sugar-maples wavered like pyres of light; lower down was a massing of grey orchards, and here and there the lingering green of an oak-grove.
- And was not Dorset, to whom his glance had passed by a natural transition, too jerkily wavering between the same extremes?
- She held firmly to Mrs. Bry’s wavering eye while she gave this explanation, but when it was over Selden saw her send a tentative glance from one to another of the women’s faces.
- It was he who had wavered and disowned the face of opportunity—and the joy now warming his breast might have been a familiar inmate if he had captured it in its first flight.
- In its inconvenient brightness Rosedale seemed to waver a moment, as though conscious that every avenue of escape was unpleasantly illuminated.
- Her survey of the situation remained calm and unwavering.
- She paused again to measure the effect of this announcement on her hearer, but the brush in Miss Bart’s lifted hand maintained its unwavering stroke from brow to nape.
- Her lips wavered into a smile—she had been distracted by the whimsical remembrance of the confidences she had made to him, two years earlier, in that very room.
- And as he wavered before her, still watching for a break in the impenetrable front she presented: "Don’t give me up; I may still do credit to my training!" she affirmed.
There are no more uses of "waver" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- Through good times and bad her love for him has never wavered.
- We are looking for someone who won’t waver when things get tough.
Go to more samples