- Her nerves taut with suspense, she turned on him as swiftly as an angry cat, hot words bubbling to her lips, but he stopped them with a gesture.
- Scarlett caught sight of Phil Meade and hardly recognized him, so black was his face with powder and grime, so taut with strain and weariness.
- Melanie hung onto it as though it were a life line, straining, pulling it taut, slackening it, tearing it.
- Scarlett’s taut nerves almost cracked as a sudden noise sounded in the underbrush near them.
- Cathleen was thin and taut.
- She’s my sister now," and Ashley bent and touched her cheek with cold lips, his face drawn and taut.
There are no more uses of "taut" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- She pulls up her shirt to expose the pale, taut skin of her stomach, marred by a tangle of gouges.
Sabaa Tahir -- An Ember in the Ashes
- Four small tents had been set up, too, poles straight and strings taut.
Go to more samples
Laurie Halse Anderson -- The Impossible Knife of Memory