- The mockingbirds and the jays, engaged in their old feud for possession of the magnolia tree beneath her window, were bickering, the jays strident, acrimonious, the mockers sweet voiced and plaintive.
- Her slipper patted longingly in time with old Levi’s large splayed foot as he twanged a strident banjo and called the figures of the reel.
- From the back yard she heard Mammy’s strident voice: "You, Priss!
There are no more uses of "strident" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- —to turn into some pert-mouthed, strident angry-girl.
Gillian Flynn -- Gone Girl
- In a funny way, she sounds like Liv Crawford when she reads from her books, a bit strident, overdramatic, with tones of succor.
Go to more samples
Chang-rae Lee -- A Gesture Life