- But then, a divorce was unthinkable; and Ellen and Gerald, staunch Catholics that they were, would never permit her to marry a divorced man.
- He was staunchly Presbyterian, even though his family were Catholic, and the thought of his daughter becoming a nun was even worse than that of her marrying Gerald O’Hara.
- " ’We are staunch Union sympathizers,’ " mimicked the old lady, twanging the words through her long thin nose.
- A splendid fellow—one of the staunch Union patriots from whom I used to buy muskets and hoop skirts for the Confederacy.
- She, a member of an old and staunchly Confederate family, a planter’s family, had gone over to the enemy and by so doing had brought shame on every family in the County.
There are no more uses of "staunch" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- a staunch defender of free speech
- This of all things her family understood, and afterward they drew together staunchly around her.
Go to more samples
Natalie Babbitt -- Tuck Everlasting