- Three strokes it rang, like silver in the air, and ceased: the third hour from the rising of the sun.
- The throb would cease suddenly and then be taken up again at some other point, now nearer, now further off.
- They have long ceased to fear the might of Gondor, and they have allied them with the Enemy, and now make a heavy stroke in his cause.
- The flying rain had ceased for a time, and the sun gleamed up above; but all the lower city was still wrapped in a smouldering reek.
- Now, for a moment, his own fate, and even his masters, ceased to trouble him.
- Then, as a sweet rain will pass down a wind of spring and the sun will shine out the clearer, his tears ceased, and his laughter welled up, and laughing he sprang from his bed.
There are no more uses of "cease" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- They signed a cease-fire agreement.
- They agreed to a temporary cease-fire so non-combatants could leave the area.
Go to more samples