- The assault on Helm’s Deep had begun,
- That is the danger that he sees, and he has fled back to Isengard to double and treble his assault on Rohan.
- The assault on the gates was redoubled.
- There was for a while a lull in the assault, since the attempt to break in through the culvert had been foiled.
- Over the wall and under the wall the last assault came sweeping like a dark wave upon a hill of sand.
- ’It is said that the Hornburg has never fallen to assault,’ said Theoden; ’but now my heart is doubtful.
- Taking his leave, he returned to the walls, and passed round all their circuit, enheartening the men, and lending aid wherever the assault was hot.
- There they had gathered in the shadow of the cliffs, until the assault above was hottest and nearly all the men of the defence had rushed to the wall’s top.
- But on the Deeping Wall and its tower, and behind it, Eomer arrayed most of the strength that he had, for here the defence seemed more doubtful, if the assault were determined and in great force.
- ’But there are not men enough in the Mark, not if they were all gathered together and healed of wounds and weariness, to assault the stronghold of Saruman,’ said Theoden.
- This was no assault upon the Dark Lord by the men of Gondor, risen like avenging ghosts from the graves of valour long passed away.
- Vividly before Frodo’s mind came the memory of Boromir’s assault upon him, and for a moment he hesitated.
- So they both lived, delighting in their own devices, and feared no assault, nor wrath, nor any end of their wickedness.
There are no more uses of "assault" in the book.
Show samples from other sources