- Paul touched his forehead with his rapier blade held vertical.
- He looked across at that other rock wall, seeing the passage of time in the vertical moonshadows there.
- A deep crack stretched its vertical shadow upward into the cliff ahead of them.
- He added another pinch of spice to the container, sent the foam boiling around Jessica’s hands as she began cutting a vertical face in the upper slant of the hole.
- As he moved, he heard heavy breathing, suddenly stilled, above him in the vertical crack of the rock, and sensed a faint shadow there outlined against the stars.
- He squeezed around a corner in the rocks, found himself in a narrow vertical crack, began inching upward—his back against one side, his feet against the other—slowly, as silently as he could.
There are no more uses of "vertical" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- The architect used long vertical lines to pull the eye upward.
- On a small ladder, a good-looking sandy-haired boy is painting a vertical sign that will say: "Doc’s."
Go to more samples
Arthur Laurents and Stephen Sondheim -- Westside Story