- I want to take a fresh look at things and form my own opinion, not just ape my parents, as in the proverb "The apple never falls far from the tree."
- Going underground or into hiding has become as routine as the proverbial pipe and slippers that used to await the man of the house after a long day at work.
- FRIDAY, MARCH 10, 1944 My dearest Kitty, The proverb "Misfortunes never come singly" defi— nitely applies to today.
- There’s a Dutch proverb: "High and dry, safe and sound," but it obviously doesn’t apply to wartime (guns!) and to people in hiding (cat box!).
There are no more uses of "proverb" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- She is a hard worker, an early riser, and fond of quoting the proverb, "The early bird gets the worm."
- It takes a village to raise a child, goes the African proverb.
Go to more samples