- He had ceased to wonder if the action was wise,
- I found it very valuable in the early days of my administration, but now that the world is moving along the lines that I planned, it can cease.
- That transfer in the tunnel was ingenious, but when the first car ceased to react it gave the plan away and I soon located you again.
- Ignorance, disease, poverty and fear had virtually ceased to exist.
- The cities that had been good enough for earlier generations had been rebuilt-or deserted and left as museum specimens when they had ceased to serve any useful purpose.
- He threw a set of switches, and the submarine came to rest in a gentle surge of deceleraion as the jets ceased their thrust.
- Even here in mid-Pacific, far from the great estuaries that slowly swept the continents out to sea, that rain never ceased.
- It was another month, however, before Jean ceased to pine for the car, and discovered all the things one could do with one’s own kitchen.
- The Overlords had imposed few positive bans on any form of human activity (the conduct of war was perhaps the major exception), but research into space flight had virtually ceased.
- They called Rupert with fresh excuses several times a year, and lately he bad ceased to bother them.
- After the first day, the islanders ceased to pay much attention when the official car murmured past on its sightseeing tours.
- The rattling had ceased, and the discarded toy lay on the nursery floor where no-one dared to touch it, lest Jennifer Anne might need it again.
- When it cleared, the movement below had ceased.
There are no more uses of "cease" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- They signed a cease-fire agreement.
- They agreed to a temporary cease-fire so non-combatants could leave the area.
Go to more samples