- The great luminous fish suddenly flashed on all its lights in a frantic signal of alarm, and departed like a meteor Into the darkness of the abyss.
- Its great expressionless eyes, half a metre across, stared at its destroyer-though, in all probability, neither creature could see the other in the darkness of the abyss.
- All through that century, the human race was drawing slowly nearer to the abyss-never even suspecting its existence.
- Across that abyss, there is only one bridge.
- He was standing, it seemed, unsupported among the uppermost peaks of the city, with nothing to protect him from the abyss.
There are no more uses of "abyss" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- These were men who had built up wealth and social status over long careers and now found themselves looking into the abyss. [of the 1987 stock market crash]
Alan Greenspan -- The Age of Turbulence
- The nerve-grinding squeal of the spike cutting through the ground sent a shiver up Thomas’s spine, though a second later the Griever tumbled into the abyss.
Go to more samples
James Dashner -- The Maze Runner