- Doc Daneeka retorted with annoyance.
- ’I’d rather have peanut brittle crumbs on my face than flies in my eyes,’ Havermeyer retorted.
- F.C. Wintergreen retorted.
- ’I’m talking about flagellation,’ Lieutenant Engle retorted.
- ’The enemy,’ retorted Yossarian with weighted precision, ’is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he’s on, and that includes Colonel Cathcart.
- ’And a very good idea it was, too,’ retorted Colonel Korn, ’since it eliminated that superfluous major that’s been giving you such an awful black eye as an administrator.
- ’He thinks he knows everything,’ Colonel Moodus would retort in a sulking tone to his own audience at the other end of the bar.
- Doc Daneeka retorted with a sneer.
- ’It’s not my business to save lives,’ Doc Daneeka retorted sullenly.
- ’Because I’m a meningitis man, that’s why, and not an acute-nephritis man,’ retorted the colonel.
- ’I don’t see why you have to shout at me,’ Corporal Whitcomb retorted with an injured look.
- ’You told us to go with them,’ Yossarian retorted accusingly.
- ’Because it’s better to die on one’s feet than live on one’s knees,’ Nately retorted with triumphant and lofty conviction.
- ’And I’ve got an official Army record here to prove it,’ Major Sanderson retorted.
- Milo retorted furiously.
- Nurse Cramer retorted.
- Major Danby started to retort with proud spirit and came to an abrupt stop, his half-opened jaw swinging closed dumbly.
- ’I don’t know anything about writing,’ Colonel Scheisskopf retorted sullenly.
- ’Then you signed your name in somebody else’s handwriting again,’ the colonel retorted with a shrug.
- ’No, it’s your fault for refusing to fly them,’ Colonel Korn retorted.
- ’I haven’t been doing any calculating,’ Yossarian retorted.
- ’That’s what that kind detective said before he decided to jab his thumb into my wound,’ Yossarian retorted sarcastically.
There are no more uses of "retort" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- She wanted to retort that he that he sounded more foolish than he looked, but she made herself count to ten and thought better of it.
- She retorted, "Takes one to know one."
Go to more samples