- It was a large room, elegantly and amply furnished, not at all in provincial style. (not reviewed by editor)
- At the time of Yefim Petrovitch's death Alyosha had two more years to complete at the provincial gymnasium. (not reviewed by editor)
- It belonged to Madame Krassotkin, the widow of a former provincial secretary, who had been dead for fourteen years. (not reviewed by editor)
- It happened one clear, warm, moonlight night in September (many years ago) five or six drunken revelers were returning from the club at a very late hour, according to our provincial notions. (not reviewed by editor)
- to abandon his betrothed, a rare beauty, Katerina Ivanovna, who's rich, and the daughter of a colonel, and to marry Grushenka, who has been the mistress of a dissolute old merchant, Samsonov, a coarse, uneducated, provincial mayor. (not reviewed by editor)
- He went straight to the point, and began by saying that although he practiced in Petersburg, he had more than once visited provincial towns to defend prisoners, of whose innocence he had a conviction or at least a preconceived idea. (not reviewed by editor)
- He admitted himself, when talking about it afterwards, that only then had he seen "how handsome the woman was," for, though he had seen her several times before, he had always looked upon her as something of a "provincial hetaira." (not reviewed by editor)
- In that well-traveled company I felt uncomfortably provincial.
- narrow provincial attitudes
- Without consideration, he dismissed her ideas as provincial.
- To the urbane, such a view sometimes sounds embarrassingly provincial.
Nicholas Eberstadt -- Starved for Ideas -- http://www.aei.org/publications/pubID.7134/pub_detail.asp(retrieved 06/29/06)
- In the years since, ... educational thinkers have unapologetically called for schooling to free students from the yoke of their family`s provincial understandings.
Frederick M. Hess -- What Is a "Public School"? -- http://www.aei.org/publications/pubID.19900/pub_detail.asp(retrieved 06/29/06)
- He was one of Herat`s best-connected men, friend of the mayor and the provincial governor.
Khaled Hosseini -- A Thousand Splendid Suns
- ...to correct Henry`s provincial manners and speech and clothing.
William Faulkner -- Absalom, Absalom!
- It was as if we were a provincial audience,
Susanna Kaysen -- Girl Interrupted