- All the pious people in the town will talk about it and spread the story through the province, wondering what it meant.
- This Lizaveta was a dwarfish creature, "not five foot within a wee bit," as many of the pious old women said pathetically about her, after her death.
- Do you understand that, friend and brother, you pious and humble novice?
- The first to give utterance to this sentiment was a layman, an elderly official from the town, known to be a man of great piety.
- After rubbing your back, I believe, you drank what was left in the bottle with a certain pious prayer, only known to your wife?
- He was a conscientious doctor and an excellent and pious man, a Hernguter or Moravian brother, I am not quite sure which.
- Remember the sarcasms in which the prosecutor indulged at the expense of the respectful and ’pious’ sentiments which suddenly came over the murderer.
- "Most pious and holy elder," he cried, pointing to Ivan, "that is my son, flesh of my flesh, the dearest of my flesh!
- "I’ll cheer you up, my pious boy.
There are no more uses of "pious" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- The cartoon with a drawing of Muhammad outraged many pious Muslims.
- Her piety required her to help her neighbors who were in need.
Go to more samples