- "Guess we’re about in for a blizzard," speculated Kennicott
- She stared with seriousness at every concrete crossing, every hitching-post, every rake for leaves; and to each house she devoted all her speculation.
- In shame she knew that they glanced appraisingly at her snowy overshoes, speculating about her legs.
- Her dejection was relieved by speculation as to what the men were discussing, in the corner between the piano and the phonograph.
- Would he not betray himself an alien cynic who should otherwise portray Main Street, or distress the citizens by speculating whether there may not be other faiths?
- Cy was no longer the weedy boy who had sat in the loft speculating about Carol’s egotism and the mysteries of generation.
- Much speculation with Bea: Had the obstetrical case taken longer than he had expected?
- Vida speculated, "Do you know that I may not be here next year?"
- The movies were almost as vital to Kennicott and the other solid citizens of Gopher Prairie as land-speculation and guns and automobiles.
- She was quickened by the speculation in his eyes.
- VII She tried to free herself from the speculation and disillusionment which had been twitching at her; sought to dismiss all the opinionation of an insurgent era.
- They speculated as to how flats could be lashed together to form a wall; they hung crocus-yellow curtains at the windows; they blacked the sheet-iron stove; they put on aprons and swept.
- In charge of the campaign was Mr. James Blausser, who had recently come to town to speculate in land.
- She was humbled by his humility; she put away in her mind, to take out and worry over later, a speculation as to whether it was not she who was naive.
- She did not finish her speculation.
- She speculated, "I could have made so much of him——"
- Carol speculated.
There are no more uses of "speculate" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- philosophers have speculated on the question of God for thousands of years
- We were speculating as to whether a president would have to resign after that kind of scandal.
Go to more samples