- Anne knelt at Marilla’s knee and looked up gravely.
- I asked her to go into the ladies’ waiting room, but she informed me gravely that she preferred to stay outside.
- "I am well in body although considerable rumpled up in spirit, thank you ma’am," said Anne gravely.
- "We must join hands—so," said Anne gravely.
- And when Anne, dressed in her second best, as primly opened it, both little girls shook hands as gravely as if they had never met before.
- Anne sat down on Marilla’s gingham lap, took Marilla’s lined face between her hands, and looked gravely and tenderly into Marilla’s eyes.
- "Oh, Marilla," she said gravely.
There are no more uses of "grave" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- Her smile disappeared as she suddenly realized the gravity of her situation.
- It was the day of the funeral and she was in a grave mood.
Go to more samples