- "That’s none of your business," retorts Himmelstoss.
- "Have you ever dug peat?" he retorts good-naturedly.
- "A bit longer than you, I fancy," he retorts.
- "Then I can be going home right away," retorts Tjaden, and we all laugh, "Ach, man! he means the people as a whole, the State—" exclaims Miller.
- Tjaden retorts in the well-known phrase from Goethe’s "Gotz von Berlichingen," with which he is always free.
- "How does the cow-shit come on the roof?" retorts Miller laconically, and turns to Haie Westhus again.
There are no more uses of "retort" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- She wanted to retort that he that he sounded more foolish than he looked, but she made herself count to ten and thought better of it.
- She retorted, "Takes one to know one."
Go to more samples