- As they grew hungry the rights of property ceased to be regarded.
- Why the shots ceased after the tenth no one on earth has attempted to explain.
- But now the sounds inside had ceased, and a thin circle of bright metal showed between the top and the body of the cylinder.
- It must be, if the nebular hypothesis has any truth, older than our world; and long before this earth ceased to be molten, life upon its surface must have begun its course.
- The top had certainly ceased to rotate.
- Forth-with the hissing and humming ceased, and the black, dome-like object sank slowly out of sight into the pit.
- When I saw how deadly white her face was, I ceased abruptly.
- The heavy firing that had broken out while we were driving down Maybury Hill ceased as abruptly as it began, leaving the evening very peaceful and still.
- I ceased my laboured reasoning, struggled to my feet, and, standing over him, laid my hand on his shoulder.
- The occasional howling of the Martians had ceased; they took up their positions in the huge crescent about their cylinders in absolute silence.
- A distant tumult of shouting began and ceased.
- The porters told him that several remarkable telegrams had been received in the morning from Byfleet and Chertsey stations, but that these had abruptly ceased.
- I thought I had become deaf, for the noises of movement I had been accustomed to hear from the pit had ceased absolutely.
- As I crossed the bridge, the sound of "Ulla, ulla, ulla, ulla," ceased.
- With overwhelming force came the thought of myself, of my wife, and the old life of hope and tender helpfulness that had ceased for ever.
- The church bells that had ceased a fortnight since suddenly caught the news, until all England was bell-ringing.
There are no more uses of "cease" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- They signed a cease-fire agreement.
- They agreed to a temporary cease-fire so non-combatants could leave the area.
Go to more samples