- And this time the tone and manner in which the command was given, betokened such growing hostility that the two young men perceived, for the first time, that the mandate was addressed to them.
- The above-mentioned purchase was made on his highness’s account, whose mandate I had, for the sum of four hundred thousand francs.
- It is you who, with that mandate, obtained the pasha’s ring, which gave you authority over Selim, the fire-keeper!
- It is you who, sent by him to Constantinople, to treat with the emperor for the life or death of your benefactor, brought back a false mandate granting full pardon!
- On entering his house, he met Morrel, who wandered about like a ghost awaiting the heavenly mandate for return to the tomb.
There are no more uses of "mandate" in the book.
To see samples from other sources, click a word sense below:
as in: a legal mandate
an instruction that must be followed; or to command
as in: the election gave her a mandate
power given to someone to do something -- especially a government to implement policies based on an electoral victory