- Send one of your men, disguised as a penitent friar, and I will give it to him.
- Behind the penitents came a man of vast stature and proportions.
- "Excellency," said a servant, opening the door, "a man in the dress of a penitent wishes to speak to you."
- A brotherhood of penitents, clothed from head to foot in robes of gray sackcloth, with holes for the eyes, and holding in their hands lighted tapers, appeared first; the chief marched at the head.
- Yet perhaps if I had found you humble and penitent, I might have prevented Benedetto from killing you; but I found you proud and blood-thirsty, and I left you in the hands of God.
There are no more uses of "penitent" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- When her anger passed, she was penitent.
- If she’s truly penitent, you should forgive her.
Go to more samples