- As I entered Nimes, I literally waded in blood; at every step you encountered dead bodies and bands of murderers, who killed, plundered, and burned.
- Three or four Palikares fell with their bodies literally ploughed with wounds.
- * Literally, "the basket," because wedding gifts were originally brought in such a receptacle.
- "In reality," observed Albert, "he seemed to me somewhat eccentric; were he at Paris, and a frequenter of the theatres, I should say he was a poor devil literally mad.
There are no more uses of "literal" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- She thinks the creation story in the Bible is a literal description; while he thinks it is poetic.
- The computer has no common sense. It will interpret everything you tell it literally.
Go to more samples