- It was of little moment, indeed, whether they were intelligible or no; for there was nobody to care for them, had they been ever so plain.
- He then, in cant terms, with which his whole conversation was plentifully besprinkled, but which would be quite unintelligible if they were recorded here, demanded a glass of liquor.
- In another moment he was dragged into a labyrinth of dark narrow courts, and was forced along them at a pace which rendered the few cries he dared to give utterance to, unintelligible.
- The matron expressed her entire concurrence in this intelligible simile; and the beadle went on.
- The girl moaned out some half intelligible reply, that she could not tell; and seemed, from the smothered noise that escaped her, to be crying.
- Monks muttered some unintelligible words, but wavered still.
There are no more uses of "intelligible" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- intelligible pronunciation
- The Director wanted us to feel like we were there, but the dialogue was not intelligible.
Go to more samples