- It has afforded the Author great amusement and satisfaction, during the progress of this work, to learn, from country friends and from a variety of ludicrous statements concerning himself in provincial newspapers, that more than one Yorkshire schoolmaster lays claim to being the original of Mr. Squeers. (not reviewed by editor)
- Independently of those arising out of its spare and precarious earnings, and his own internal conviction that he could never hope to aspire to any great distinction, even as a provincial actor, how could he carry his sister from town to town, and place to place, and debar her from any other associates than those with whom he would be compelled, almost without distinction, to mingle? (not reviewed by editor)
- …of all was, perhaps, the open scrapbook, displayed in the midst of some theatrical duodecimos that were strewn upon the table; and pasted into which scrapbook were various critical notices of Miss Snevellicci's acting, extracted from different provincial journals, together with one poetic address in her honour, commencing— Sing, God of Love, and tell me in what dearth Thrice-gifted SNEVELLICCI came on earth, To thrill us with her smile, her tear, her eye, Sing, God of Love, and tell me… (not reviewed by editor)
- … indisposition, would have the honour of appearing that evening; a fifth line said that there were 'Cheers, Tears, and Laughter!' every night; a sixth, that that was positively the last appearance of Mr Vincent Crummles of Provincial Celebrity. (not reviewed by editor)
- He glanced at the top of the bill, with a smile at his own dulness, as he prepared to resume his walk, and there saw announced, in large letters with a large space between each of them, 'Positively the last appearance of Mr Vincent Crummles of Provincial Celebrity!!!' (not reviewed by editor)
- In that well-traveled company I felt uncomfortably provincial.
- narrow provincial attitudes
- Without consideration, he dismissed her ideas as provincial.
- To the urbane, such a view sometimes sounds embarrassingly provincial.
Nicholas Eberstadt -- Starved for Ideas -- http://www.aei.org/publications/pubID.7134/pub_detail.asp(retrieved 06/29/06)
- In the years since, ... educational thinkers have unapologetically called for schooling to free students from the yoke of their family`s provincial understandings.
Frederick M. Hess -- What Is a "Public School"? -- http://www.aei.org/publications/pubID.19900/pub_detail.asp(retrieved 06/29/06)
- He was one of Herat`s best-connected men, friend of the mayor and the provincial governor.
Khaled Hosseini -- A Thousand Splendid Suns
- ...to correct Henry`s provincial manners and speech and clothing.
William Faulkner -- Absalom, Absalom!
- It was as if we were a provincial audience,
Susanna Kaysen -- Girl Interrupted