- Mademoiselle Bourienne and the little princess had to own to themselves that Princess Mary in this guise looked very plain, worse than usual, but it was too late.
- Under guise of a present for the pilgrims, Princess Mary prepared a pilgrim’s complete costume for herself: a coarse smock, bast shoes, a rough coat, and a black kerchief.
- Pierre received him unwillingly at first, but got used to him after a while, sometimes even accompanied him on his carousals, and gave him money under the guise of loans.
There are no more uses of "guise" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- Under the guise of friendship he betrayed them.
- the text of the Constitution has frequently been rewritten by the Supreme Court in the guise of interpretation.
Go to more samples
Law, Pragmatism, and Democracy -- Richard A. Posner